At the heart, FRLogger is a logging program. It is designed to take your inputs made on the Log Entry Panel and save them to a database for you.
In its simplest form it could be used in this way completely. An operator could skip the radio connection portion of set up and just manually enter data and save it and there would be nothing wrong with that.
If you wanted to use FRLogger in this simplistic mode, the two views that would likely interest you the most would be the Log Entry Panel and the Log List Panel. On those two panels you can enter new QSOs and you can scan your last 100 QSOs.
But... FRLogger can do much more for you. Here are a just a few things that are baked in to make your life easier:
- Lookups - This is the ability to FRLogger to make use of QRZ or HamQTH or even an old disk based database to lookup entered calls from and fill in data for you.
- Radio - By connecting to your Flex Radio, FRLogger can determine the frequency and mode of your contact and save it to your QSO record for you
- Prior QSOs - FRLogger will scan your database to see if you have worked the entered station before and show you dates/times and other information
- Database statistics - FRLogger will show you how many SSB, CW, Digital contacts you've made an on what bands your contacts are.
- Post online - There are some online log books: HRDLOG.NET, ClubLog, QRZ. FRLogger can in real time post your QSOs to your online log books.
- Spots - Helping you find contacts is a big part of what FRLogger can do. The spots system is integrated and very powerful.
- Radio control - Having to switch between SmartSDR and a logging program for common things is a waste of time. You can do most control operations directly in FRLogger
- Control of other devices - If you have an Elecraft Amp or Tuner, or an SPE amp, FRLogger can talk to those devices and help you control them all from one place
- If you use PSTRotator then FRLogger can point your beam for you
- FRLogger can show you map with a sun shadow, the location of spots, and your last QSOs.
- FRLogger allows you to spot yourself to other FRLogger users so they can find you for a QSO
- FRLogger allows you to chat in real time with other FRLogger users
- FRLogger allows you to send semi-private messages to other FRLogger users
- FRLogger can listen to WSJT-X, JTDX, and JS8Call and simplifies logging of these contacts
- And much more...
So lets dig in starting with the Log Entry Panel. This section assumes you have completed at least the minimum setup items under getting started.
Since FRLogger is a logging program at its heart, the log entry panel is a very important place. This panel is where you can enter log information adding additional comments and data to your QSO.
These instructions will not cover spots. In FRLogger if you click on a spot on the SmartSDR PanAdapter or the Maestro, FRLogger will populate the spot station data into the log entery panel for you. We will cover that in another section.
To enter a new contact follow this process:
- CALL - Enter the station callsign into the CALL field
- IMPORTANT: Hit the TAB key, not the enter key after you have entered the call sign.
After a few seconds, if you have enabled any QRZ or HamQTH lookup the fields in the log entry panel should populate with data looked up from the online service.
FRLogger has also filled in current date, time and if your radio is connected the current mode and frequency.
This log entry has not yet been saved! At this point FRLogger has primed the fields for you. You can now update, add or change anything you would like. When you are ready to log this contact hit the "Save (ent)" button. The enter key will also save this entry.